I had to run, although this dress was not designed for flight and my body was even less prepared.  

I stopped when the adrenaline left me.  The surrounding trees seemed to move, to come closer.  Inspecting me.  I was trapped in the circle.  I began to panic, choking on my own breath.

It was dark, and if I looked up I could not see the sky.   The dark walls taunted me.  I clutched something so tightly my hands ached.  What was it?

I looked down.  Tristan’s dagger.  Little good it would do me out here, against an army of trees.

--

This drabble was based on the prompt but was also inspired by the forest scene in Disney's Snow White, which is one of the most frightening Disney scenes ever once you're older than the princess herself.

When I got to writing this scene in the first draft of Daughter of Snow, I actually took out this drabble and used it as an outline.  I expanded some sections and lifted entire sentences to use word-for-word, and I'm really pleased with it.

I like to think it's nearly as frightening as the forest scene that inspired it.
0 Responses

Post a Comment