All I can do is stand there and stare at her. She isn’t moving. Why isn’t she moving? I had to find her. Raine made me promise to find her. I found her. We have to go home. I found her. Why isn’t she moving? My father was here a minute ago. Now he’s gone. Katrien isn’t moving. Why isn’t she moving?

Tristan forces me to turn around. I stare, without really seeing him. He pushes hair out of my face, then kisses my lips hard. I surge to life again… and burst into tears. Katrien isn’t moving. She’s dead.

--

Another Daughter of Snow drabble, this time for my least favorite scene, which turns out nothing like this in the actual draft.  Eirlys does go through this emotional turmoil, but unfortunately Tristan is not there to kiss her out of it.

Actually, I don't remember where or if they kiss at all in the draft.

Also, I think every single drabble written to this prompt turned out to be more about death than life.  Writers are a funny breed.
0 Responses

Post a Comment