I shoved my dagger into her hand, wrapping her slim fingers firmly around the handle until she gripped it.

“Get out of here,” I told her.  “They’re going to kill you.”

She stared, her eyes bewildered and uncomprehending.

I shoved her back a step, and then another.  Finally she obeyed me, tripping over the hem of her impractical gown as she disappeared into the forest.

When my father returned, it was to swear and beat me.  I took it in silence.  Perhaps I was a traitor to my father and to my lord, but I had not betrayed Lady Eirlys.

--

This prompt immediately followed Walls, and the scene I wrote for it immediately preceded the scene written for Walls.  It was the first time Tristan spoke up and gave me his side of the story.

This scene also made it into the first draft of Daughter of Snow, in an expanded form (and from Eirlys' point of view, of course).  The only details that don't make it in are the last two sentences, because she isn't around to see them.  I have no doubt the event actually occurred.
0 Responses

Post a Comment