The laws of astronomy are essentially ruining my life.

Her escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, so I’m stuck in permanent orbit around her.  Such an eccentric, irregular orbit.  I drift around peacefully most of the time until I’m close to her and then I zip past into cold empty oblivion again.  Until the next time.

I can crunch the numbers, calculate the forces involved.  I know precisely what’s happening, but I’m just an asteroid caught in her gravity field.  I can’t control my own motion.

And someday my irregular orbit will fail me, and she’ll burn me alive.

--

I started laughing when this prompt was selected because I was literally in the middle of Astronomy homework at the time.  So I took a break to participate.

As well as being a way to show off some science, this was drawn from an extensive clunky analogy I created  some time ago to explain a relationship to myself while I was trying to make sense of what was going on.  It involved asteroids flung into space and accumulating enough mass to become a planet of its own.  Very corny.

Do you think the narrator is male or female?
Labels:
0 Responses

Post a Comment