“But Ma—”
She slaps me, hard.  “Shut your mouth and listen to me, brat.”
The venom in her voice is frightening.
 “This has gone too far, Diana, way beyond a simple seduction.  It’s become an obsession and it’s not right.  I won’t have my daughter causing such a scandal.”
“Ma, I love her!”  That was a mistake.
“Where did you learn such a filthy word?” she screeches.  
I’m not going to answer that.
“You’re not going to see that bitch anymore, you hear me?”
I’m not even listening.
Maybe Ma’s right about obsession.
But I know love isn’t filthy.

--

I hesitated on the mild swearing in this one, but nothing else gave the right flavor.  So there we go.

I love this defiant Diana, partially because you can see how Aster is influencing her.  Beyond the obvious, the fact that she isn't fighting back or screaming in response is pretty telling.

And the idea that "a simple seduction" is encouraged but a long-term relationship is "such a scandal" made me laugh.  As is "love" being a "filthy word".  This universe is screwed up and I just adore it.
Labels:
0 Responses

Post a Comment