When I dive in company, I have to bring all the equipment.  The wetsuit, the air tank.  I put on a smile and gush about how much fun my job is, getting to bring people close to nature.  As if they could get close with all the gear.

But when I dive alone I take off the mask.  And all the rest.  Stripped to the skin, free of all the clunky equipment, I’m in my element.

I take a deep breath of seawater and this time, my smile is real.  Without the mask, I’m myself.

Without the mask, I’m home.

--

I'm in the amusing habit of asking whoever happens to be around at the time for two to three random words we can choose from as drabble prompts.  This one won out over "moth" and "disc", and I'm not surprised.

I originally thought I was going to have to do a one-off, but an elemental stepped up.  This one from the modern world, which was a new concept.

I imagine this was sort of based on the opportunity I had to go scuba-diving in the Red Sea, and the longing I felt at the time to be able to go on that sort of expedition without all the necessary equipment -- I had to wear weights because I'm too buoyant and would literally float to the surface with the air tank strapped to my back.  What I wouldn't have given then (and now) to have the chance this elemental does to lose all the equipment and just be part of the ocean.
Labels: ,
0 Responses

Post a Comment