“Look,” he growls, pushing me to my knees in the mud.  “Look at yourself.”  Trembling – not wanting to obey, to see, to know – I bend over the glass puddle.

Thin green tendrils sprout from my scalp and pour down in curls amidst tangled brown ringlets.  My irises, once grey, now fade from deep brown centers to hazel rims.  My face shows evidence of the palest green lines, like veins of leaves under my skin.

As I stare at myself in this watery mirror, I reflect that perhaps now they would let me go.  Or is that too much to hope?

--

Corby told me this story, although he's not involved in it at all.  A kidnapped and enslaved girl beginning to grow into an Earth elemental, and freaking everyone out (including herself), because, well... she has plants growing in her hair and has leaflike Marks on her face.  Although you can see she's ready to use that fear to her advantage.

I like the two interpretations of Reflection present in this piece.  It just feels clever.
Labels: ,
0 Responses

Post a Comment