He knelt and took one of her hands in both of his. He couldn’t look at her face.

“You asked me once what the worst part was. I think I said having three sisters, like the gods couldn’t pick one other boy. That was a lie. The worst part is this. You’re going...” He choked. “You’re going to die. And I have to spend the rest of my miserable magical life without you. That’s the worst part. Five hundred years of heartache.”

He dropped her hand on her chest, rose, and ran away. He couldn’t let her see him cry.

--

Sad sad drabble.  I think this is a Fire elemental, but it doesn't appear to really matter which it is.

I like the phrase "miserable magical life" a lot.  I don't like the last two sentences; they don't feel right.  But I'm too lazy to tinker with them anymore, so there they are.

Definitely based on the phoenix's five-hundred-year lifespan.
Labels: ,
0 Responses

Post a Comment